In today’s digital world, the internet has made it easier for people to have access to information, services, and platforms. While the internet offers numerous benefits, your personal information could fall into the wrong hands or be compromised. Unfortunately, a fraudster can use your personal information to steal your identity to commit fraud or obtain some financial gain. If you’ve been affected by online identity theft, it is important that you hire a skilled Missouri consumer protection attorney to protect your best interests.
At Stecklein & Rapp, our attorneys have devoted their careers to offering experienced legal services and protecting individuals affected by online identity theft. As your legal counsel, we will investigate the surrounding circumstances of your unique situation, enlighten you about the possible warning signs, and teach you how to protect yourself against identity theft. Our trusted team will work tirelessly to help recover your financial losses and hold the identity thieves liable. We’re proud to serve clients across Kansas City, Missouri, Kansas City, Kansas, Lincoln, Nebraska, Eastern Kansas, Western Missouri, Colorado, and Nebraska.
What Is Online Identity Theft?
According to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, identity theft is defined as “a fraud committed or attempted using the identifying information of another person without authority.” Online identity theft occurs when a fraudster steals another person’s identity – by gaining access to their personal identifying information – to commit a fraudulent act. Online identity theft somehow involves the internet and the Web; the perpetrator could obtain personal information online or commit fraudulent acts online, or both.
Warning Signs of Online Identity Theft
Here are some warning signs of online identity theft you should watch out for:
- Unfamiliar login alerts
- Discrepancies in your financial statements and credit score
- Strange purchases or withdrawals in your bank statement
- Unable to access your online accounts
- Calls from creditors and debt collectors about charges you didn’t authorize
- More than one tax return was filed in your name
- You receive medical bills for services you didn’t receive
- Your cellphone or another utility loses service
- You receive unfamiliar bills
- Being notified of a data breach
- Not receiving expected bills or other mail
If you believe you have been a victim of identity theft, you need to reach out to an experienced Missouri identity theft attorney right away. Your lawyer can enlighten you about the next steps to take and help protect your best interests.
What to Do if You Are a Victim of Online Identity Theft
Every year, many individuals are affected by identity theft. If you are a victim of online identity theft, you should take the following steps:
- Get a copy of your credit report. Review the report for errors or inconsistencies.
- Contact your bank and other financial institutions to secure your accounts and stop any payments.
- Change all your passwords and pins.
- Report the identity theft to the fraud department of the credit bureaus (Equifax, TransUnion, and Experian).
- Report the identity theft to the fraud department of your creditors.
- Report the identity theft to law enforcement.
- Hire skilled legal counsel to protect your accounts, recover the stolen money, and help seek a legal remedy.
A reliable consumer protection attorney can review the facts of your case and outline an effective strategy to recover your money, deal with your financial matters, and hold the responsible parties liable.
Let Stecklein & Rapp Help You
Navigating identity theft cases usually involves a lot of complexities. Recovering stolen funds, restoring your reputation, and fixing damaged credit scores caused by identity theft can be difficult and overwhelming. Therefore, if you believe that your identity has been stolen online or compromised, retaining an experienced consumer protection attorney is imperative for proper guidance and to protect your legal rights.
At Stecklein & Rapp, our attorneys have the skills, diligence, and resources to assist and represent victims of identity theft. As your legal counsel, we can investigate all of the facts of your case and enlighten you about your possible legal options. Using our in-depth knowledge, our trusted team can help deal with creditors, debt collectors, and other financial matters. We will fight vigorously to protect your rights, help restore your tarnished reputation, and get the credit reporting agencies to delete any fraudulent information from your credit report history.
Contact Stecklein & Rapp today to schedule a simple consultation with experienced identity theft attorneys. We can offer you the personalized legal counsel and reliable advocacy you deserve. We proudly serve clients across Kansas City, Missouri, Kansas City, Kansas, Lincoln, Nebraska, Eastern Kansas, Western Missouri, Colorado, and Nebraska.